Check-up Distance Learning
The Institute for External Evaluation of Upper-Secondary Schools (IFES IPES) and the Swiss Federal Institute for Vocational Education and Training (SFUVET) teamed up to produce the ‘Check-up Distance Learning’ tool, which provides Swiss upper-secondary schools with an easy-to-use and cost-effective means to gather timely feedback on distance learning experiences during the lockdown period when schools were intially closed and later reopened in the spring of 2020.
Depending on the specific needs expressed by individual schools, feedback was obtained from learners, vocational school teachers, workplace trainers, school directors and parents.
Topics addressed by the ‘Check-up Distance Learning’ tool include:
- Organisational aspects (school, teaching, learning)
- Teaching, cooperation, learning
- Feedback on teaching
- Social contacts and support
- Learning success
- Personal resources and burdens
- Innovations for the future
- Suggestions for improvement.
Two implementation options were available:
- Online survey with online report and anonymised responses to open questions
- Online survey with online report and anonymised responses to open questions, followed by online group interviews with learners and teachers to gain qualitative insight into the results as well as a short report of 2-4 pages.
Ivo Schorn, Institut für Externe Schulevaluation auf der Sekundarstufe II (Institute for External School Evaluation at Secondary Level II)