Evaluation of the Allgemeine Berufsfachschule Zürich (ABZ)’s ‘Cooking talent class’ project
The Allgemeine Berufsschule Zürich (ABZ) has introduced a cooking talent class where learners with above-average achievement are put together in the same class to further promote their excellence. The cooking talent class is comprised of around 18 learners selected in a three-phase selection process (learners, workplace trainers and vocational school teachers). With these talented and highly motivated learners, the usual training content will be covered in approx. 75% of the available time. This will create space either to delve more deeply into the subject matter or enable more complex projects to be carried out. The key aim here is to encourage professional growth. Thus, 6-10 days of each year of training will be devoted to additional areas. Learners will focus on developing product knowledge in the first year of training and turn their attention to production knowledge in the second year of training. In the third year of training, emphasis will be placed on applying knowledge, gaining experience and building a professional network. SFUVET’s Evaluation Unit has been commissioned to evaluate this project.
The views of the various actors (in particular the learners, workplace trainers and vocational school teachers) will be surveyed at different stages of training. The following evaluation questions will be asked:
- How satisfied are the various actors with the project?
- How are generic competences imparted and acquired?
- How are professional competences imparted and acquired?
- What impact does the cooking talent class have on learner motivation over time? In what way does their level of motivation differ from that of other learners?
- How well can the additional training content (25%) effectively be transferred into practice?
- How do host companies rate the learners in the talent class compared to the other learners?
- How are the organisational aspects rated?
- Does the additional effort have a positive impact in terms of time and money?
- Is there any room for improvement?
In concrete terms, the following activities will be carried out:
- Assistance with selection of learners for the cooking talent class
- Online survey of learners in the talent class and in benchmark classes at various points in time during training
- Workshop with learners in the cooking talent class
- Workshops and/or written surveys for teachers in the cooking talent class and in benchmark classes
- Workshops and/or written surveys for workplace trainers of learners in the cooking talent class